Monday, July 14, 2014

July 14, 2014 Focus Point

Set Goals the SMART Way!

"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment." ~Jim Rohn

"What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals." ~Henry David Thoreau

"Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible." ~Tony Robbins

Set your goals high and do not stop until you get there. Stick to your work until it sticks to you. I love those statements because they work with our minds in creating the goal as well as reminds a person to work hard in order to accomplish it. Goal setting is the way to turn your hopes, dreams, and desires into reality. It is the movement from a lower level of potential to a higher level of actuality. I remember a lesson Stephen Covey did where he said: "Make a commitment and keep it." Goals are commitments we make to ourselves. Goals are how we grow to become better, rather than just grow to become older. 

Goals should be:

Specific: This is about having a clear picture in your mind what it is you desire and the picture in your mind is then written in detail on paper.

Measurable: This part of your goal is so that you can track progress. If I were to set a goal to become a better father to my children, well.... how do I know if I am improving? Instead what if I set a goal to do two activities this week with my kids, of their choice? At the end of the week I will certainly know if the goal was met or not.

Attainable: This is about keeping a balance of what is within your ability, but also to not limit yourself because of your current reality. Keeping goals attainable suggests that we take life on in bite sized pieces.

Relevant: Does it pertain and lead to the bigger picture you have of yourself? I often ask people: What is the next step in the direction of your success?

Time-Bound: A specific date should always accompany a specific goal. This reminds you to check in with yourself, be accountable, work hard, and re-adjust where needed. When the date arrives simply ask: Did I meet my goal? If the answer is yes, then celebrate. If the answer is no, then rework the goal. This is where most people give up and the determined successful people push through.

No comments:

Post a Comment