Monday, May 26, 2014

May 26, 2014 Focus Point


A Time to Reflect, Remember, and give Thanks!

"At the end of our lives we may ask ourselves. Did I live, did I love, did I matter?" ~Brendon Burchard
 
 "In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved." ~President Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." ~Nathan Hale

"I don't have to tell you how fragile this precious gift of freedom is. Every time we hear, watch, or read the news, we are reminded that liberty is a rare commodity in this world." ~President Ronald Reagan

Memorial Day is a US federal holiday wherein the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces are remembered. The holiday, which is celebrated every year on the final Monday of May,  was formerly known as Decoration Day and originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service.

What a blessing it is to live in America, the most free of all Countries in the world. My thoughts this week are two fold. First, that we will do well to give thanks to God for the men and women who have fallen to provide, ensure, and keep America free. To remember that all gave some, but our fallen fellow Americans truly gave all that they had to give. I am so thankful that they lived. That they lived well and brave. That they loved America, other people, and freedom itself enough to give the ultimate contribution.

Secondly, I believe it is an opportunity to reflect on the purpose and direction of our own life. Are we living life fully with energy and enthusiasm? Are we loving those around us with sincerity and openness? Are we making a difference in someone's world? Are we leaving a mark that is worth noticing?

No comments:

Post a Comment